Sunday, August 28, 2022

Family Business Part 7: Unprepared

 The latest in the life of Em De Mone... 


Unprepared

I stood in front of the large bay window, cradling a cup of cold coffee in my hands. It was a gorgeous November day, and I tried to admire the view from my grandparents' vast compound in the northwestern area of Las Vegas. 

Their backyard was a 600-foot mountain. Lone Mountain. I could see people at the top. It was a good hike. On a normal day, I may have joined them.  However, today was anything but the usual. 

Overnight, a close human friend of mine was attacked, and she was still in surgery. Then Granny’s dear friend Rose was in a car accident this morning. Granny fainted when she’d gotten the call and was resting on the couch now.

We didn’t know much other than Nikki Chambers was trying to run my Demon Peace Keeper Family out of town. He was responsible for Renee’s attack, but we were still waiting on news about Rose. 

After hastily preparing myself for whatever hell and mayhem the rest of today held. I stared out at the scenery. Catching a glimpse of my reflection in the window, I straightened a few short spikes of hair and tried not to let my imagination run wild.  

“Lovie…” Granny’s voice was a mere whisper.

As I turned, she blinked her eyes open and sat up. 

“Hey,” I said, glad to have something other than my thoughts to focus on, “how are you feeling?”

She took a deep breath and pushed herself into a sitting position. After fluffing her short silver hair, she rubbed her hands together, “I’m ready to get to the hospital and check on Rose and your friend. Plus, we need to be there for Violet.”

“Huh?” I said. Was she kidding?

She waved her hand at me and glanced over her shoulder, “I’m fine, just a bit of low blood pressure. I took my pill and laid down. It’s time to get back to business.” 

“A second ago, you were on your back snoring…”

She cut me off. Standing, she walked to the counter and grabbed her purse and keys to the Cadillac, “Well, I’m not anymore, and this is our opportunity. Neither Sarah nor Paddy will let us out of here. You and I both know that.”

Before I could answer, we heard the stomp of her boots as she came down the hall. Sarah. Secretly I was thrilled to see her. 

 My aunt stood in the archway with her hands on her hips. Her naturally stoic face showed genuine interest, “What are you doing?”

“Nothing,” Granny said, tucking her keys into her purse.

“What have you got there?” Sarah walked into the kitchen, manhandled Granny, and pocketed the keys to the Cadillac, “Do you think you’re going someplace?”

“I do. Give me the keys,” Granny said, holding out her hand. “Em and I are going to the hospital. I need to check on Rosie and poor Violet. She must be so scared.”

“Ma, you’re not going anywhere,”  Sarah said, her voice softening, “and besides, I have news, and it’s not good.”

There was more bad news? What happened now? Then I knew. I saw a flash of her face somewhere in my subconscious: Violet. 

Sarah’s head twisted, and she held my gaze. She knew I knew. How did I know? I had no idea, but that wasn’t the pressing issue. 

Returning to focus, Sarah rested a gentle hand on Granny’s shoulder, “Violet’s missing. She never made it to the hospital. The men at her place had to be imposters. I spoke to police dispatch, and the legit Las Vegas Metro PD went to the house and found no one home.  Violet still hasn’t appeared at the hospital, and she’s not answering her phone.” her voice trailed off, “We don’t know where she is.”

I slumped into the chair and hung my head in my hands. The details made it so much worse. What the hell was happening?  

“We need to get to the hospital,” Granny said, standing firm. 

“You’re right about that, but you are not going anywhere. You’re staying put. On lockdown.”

“By who’s orders?” Granny fumed. “You can tell Paddy…”

 “I’m not telling dad anything,” Sarah said, “Besides, it’s your doctor’s orders. She’s going to be here in 20 minutes to check you out. Today was your second fainting spell in the last three days, Ma.” Sarah gave her mother a pointed look, then met my gaze, “But Em, you’re welcome to come with me if you like.”

She was right. We needed to find Violet. I was terrified, but my witch powers were growing daily. I had to help if I could. 

 “Good,” Sarah said and then paused, “it might go without saying, but I need to be sure you know what you’re walking into. Grab a potion and a weapon or two. Nikki is sure to have men lurking, and we’ve seen what they’re capable of.”

 I let out an uncomfortable laugh, “I’ve got a potion case with a handy little variety and an athame strapped to my side. At all times. It’s how I live now.”

“Good girl,” Sarah nodded, then looked to her mother, “You need to go lay down.”

“I’m fine right now, and I can see you two off,” Granny said. 

Sarah studied her, “I’ll be ready in 10 minutes.”

Granny turned toward me the moment she was gone, “There’s no way I’m staying here, Lovie. Rosie’s my best friend. I have a 10-minute escape window. Are you coming?” Granny said, grabbing her purse and the keys to Sarah’s hellcat off the wall, “I’m not kidding or waiting.” And she was gone, already out the door.

Fear and adrenaline took over, and I knew I should call for my aunt, but I heard the engine roar. Man, she could move for an old gal. I grabbed my bag, exhaled, said a prayer to the universe, and ran after her. What kind of granddaughter would I be if I let her go all alone?

She reversed the sleek black car and screeched to a stop in front of me, “Get in, Lovie. We’ve no time to waste.”

I hesitated and shook my head, “Man, Sarah’s gonna be pissed.”

“It’ll be fine,”  She said, “Now get your ass in the car, child.” 

She hit the gas and squealed down the driveway as I slid in before my door was closed. 

We zoomed down Highway 95 at a speed far greater than I was comfortable with. My leg bounced, and I gripped the oh-shit handle for dear life.  For the first time since leaving foster care, I thought about lighting up a cigarette. I rifled through my bag with one hand and found some gum instead. I unwrapped two pieces, chomped loudly while I exhaled, and concentrated on not hyperventilating or dying. Thankfully the drive to the hospital wasn’t too long.

Granny didn’t even break as she roared into the parking lot. Two people jumped out of the way as she slammed on the brakes and skidded into an open spot. I put my hands together in a prayer of gratitude and catapulted myself out of the front seat. Thankful for safe passage and the solid ground beneath my feet, I leaned against the car and gave her a pat. 

We felt the vibration of motorcycles off in the distance, and Granny looked and me and smiled. “See, Lovie,’ I told you everything would be fine. I know Paddy and Sarah will be angry, but the club will be here soon enough,” Granny said, “Let’s go check on our girls.”

“Granny, they are going to be so pissed, but yes, I supposed we should, since we’re here…” I said as relief washed over me. I was just about to tell her about the lipstick smeared all over her teeth, but I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. Too fast for a human. Too creepy for a hospital. One hand dove into my purse, while the other went to my athame, but I wasn’t fast enough. 

And they were on top of us. A Masked Goon swung a tire iron at Granny. THWACK. And she slumped into a huddle in the parking lot.

“Granny!” I screamed as several other men grabbed me by the arms. My athame and potion dropped to the ground and skittered out of my reach. I kicked, swung, and growled, anything I could think of to get free. A needle pricked the back of my shoulder and I felt the rush of fluid. I was utterly unprepared for the body numbness that followed, “Gran…”

It wasn’t long before I started to drown in the darkness. My mind was fuzzy and lost. The world weebled and wobbled.  Then I sank further, and it all went black.

To Be Continued


Photo credit: Thank you, PrettysleepyArt. 📷

Loving Family Business? I'd love to hear your thoughts unless you'd like to keep reading.
👇Check out more of Em De Mone below. 👇

Thanks so much for stopping by!
Regards, Aspen ✌️

Read ahead.
Part 8: Kidnapped

Part 6: So It Begins


Did you miss the Secret Life of Em  De Mone? Catch up here:


12 comments:

  1. Couldn't they have used magic to get to the hospital if it wasn't far away? Also, in the universe your story takes place, do protection spells and charms exist? She's really having a bad day (couple of days?). I hope her luck improves at some point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the 'Police' of the demons they are expected to integrate with humans. Also only Em is half witch. She's still figuring out what that means and how it all works. Plus the De Mone's are a bit prideful and never expected this sort of attack. Things will get worse for Em before they get better. It makes for good fiction. 😉 Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous chapter! I love how the chapter starts out with a little bit of tension that hints at what is to come as the tension keeps growing and leads to the tense culmination in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU so much! That is high praise...and exactly what I was aiming for (whew). Thank you for your continued support!

      Delete
  3. You are such a talented writer. I enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cliff-hanger! I’m looking forward to seeing how they get out of this mess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by! Glad you enjoyed it. ✌️

      Delete
  5. This chapter ended with a true cliff hanger and can't wait to see what will happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by! Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  6. This is an interesting read, I like this type of stories. I would like I want to know more of it. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete

The Shack

It's been a while since I've posted any fiction. The Shack is a short flash from one of those 24 Hour Contests. There is a prompt fo...