Sunday, May 12, 2024

A Writing Exercise: The Universe Has a Way


 📷credit: esvisionaria


The Exercise
A. Make a list (the hardest part, so the list came from my brother).

Noun: sunshine
Proper Noun: Mt. Fuji
Adjective: delicious
Verb: carry
Line of dialogue: “I’m not buying it.”

B. Write a one-page story incorporating the list of words/phrases into a coherent narrative.

The Universe Has A Way
The blind man with the bushy mustache sat in the marketplace. Closing his eyes, he tilted his face toward the sky, soaking up the warm sunshine. He reached for a peach from the bag next to him – a gift from the woman in the valley on her way out of town. He was under strict orders to take it home to his wife to be turned into a delicious birthday pie for their only daughter. The only one to survive. Anyway. She’d be seven on Sunday.

As the man bit into the peach, he placed his straw hat atop his head and opened his eyes. Sure, he was blind, but he still saw. The marketplace hustled and bustled all around him—movement and music, laughter and exchanges, people selling, people buying—everyone here with a purpose. His was to sell a painting and buy meat for his family.
 
A darkness suddenly shadowed him as a big bully of a man loomed overhead.
 
“These are paintings? Of what? From a blind man?” said the bully.

Mt Fuji, good sir, I traveled a bit when I could see. I am grateful for the time I had.”

“Donkey shit. I’m not buying it. Take your tragic story and shove it. I’ll take those peaches, though.”

“No sir, they are for my…”

“I don’t care; we’re taking them.” The bully threw down several coins and turned to his companion. “Carry that bag home up the hill, you worthless wench.” 

He was gone, leaving a breathless woman and the blind man alone.

“I am sorry,” she said, mumbling under her breath while she heaved the bag into her arms, “He’s a horrible man.”

“Indeed. Good luck to you, dear lady.” The blind man with the bushy mustache said content that he had what he needed to buy meat to keep his daughter healthy, even if there would be no pie.

Many hours later, the breathless woman returned, only she wasn’t breathless anymore. She stood tall, happy colors swirling around her, warm and inviting, like a favorite blanket.
 
“For you, good man,” she said, setting the bag of peaches next to him and a heavy bag of coins into his hands. “My husband perished on our way home, keeled over right in the dirt. The house will be overrun with vultures soon, and I figured you could use this more than his greedy brothers. But if anyone asks…”

“I didn’t see a thing,” the man said, grinning, “Be well, good woman.”

“Now, I will be, thank you, kind sir.” The woman tottled off to her better life.

"The Universe has a way." The blind man with bushy eyebrows chuckled as he reached for a peach. Taking a bite, he let the sweet juice roll down his chin and closed his eyes to enjoy that present moment.
 
The End


As always, thank you for stopping by. I’d love to hear your comments below. 


Until next time: Be creative. Find your wild side. Stay sane(ish). ✌️

4 comments:

  1. Well done! You would do well at improv!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate you stopping by! 😊

      Delete
  2. Interesting story based on the list your brother gave you. I'm not sure if I could do something like that myself. I take it such writing exercises are to help you grow as a writer or to showcase your ability as a writer? I'd really like to learn to write like that someday.

    Just so I know, did she kill the dude and also rob him to give the man with the bushy mustache his peaches back and a bag of coins? Also, what time period was it set in if people carry a bag of coins rather than a wallet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was to help me grow as a writer. I enrolled in an MFA (Masters of Fine Arts) in Writing program, which started in January. This was one of the homework/weekly journal assignments. It's great, and I'm really enjoying it.

      She did not kill the dude. He died of natural causes on his way up the hill. She did, however, use his death as an opportunity to escape and free herself from the clutches of a bad man and his family. It's set in an open-air market in ancient Rome.

      Thank you so much for stopping by! 😊

      Delete

A Writing Exercise: The Universe Has a Way

 📷credit:  esvisionaria The Exercise A. Make a list (the hardest part, so the list came from my brother). Noun: sunshine Proper Noun: Mt. F...