Sunday, February 21, 2021

Ruby Hood and Mayor Wolf

A retelling of a classic fairy tale that takes a completely different path over the river and through the Wood...

Ruby Hood and Mayor Wolf

EXCERPT from 
"Ruby Hood, A Twistedly True Tale"
By Aspen Hite

Before she closed the front door, her eyes scanned the street. All was well. In fact, there was nothing at all. Not a neighbor or a cat or a kid on a bike. No sign of the mayor. Yet. She closed the door behind her and turned to take the suitcases upstairs.

Ruby.

Dylan? Ruby jumped.

It’s the mayor, the voice clipped. “Jedidiah Wolf.”

You can talk to me in my head, too? Ruby almost screamed in reply.

Under emergency duress, an aligned Beast and Protector can communicate in closee proximity. I’m on your porch.

Setting the luggage down, Ruby pulled the front door open, “I just looked out here.”

“Evening, Miss Hood,” The mayor’s tall lean build stood before her. He was cool and aloof with his hands in the pockets of his trench, but jaw was set, and his eyes were sharp. He was ready. “I tend to be stealthy.”

“How’s Kellan?” She blurted, even though she knew she should ask about whatever duress had brought him here.

“Stable. For now, and we will talk about that more. But first, I’m here because my nurse, Mary, is worried. She senses something off, so I thought it best to check things out, especially with the arrival of your guests.”

“Are Lily and her father in danger?” Fear shot through Ruby.

“At the moment, I don’t think so, in fact, while not necessarily convenient, your houseguests are not terribly inconvenient either. Innocents, and witnesses, can be a deterrent,” the mayor said, “at least, I hope.”

“Um, I’m not really okay with using my best friend and her dad as a shield,” she said, barely able to control rising anger. If anything happened to them because of this Otherly Natural world…

Then a sudden strangeness overtook the mayor.  With his nose pointing straight up to the sky, he sniffed, long and deep. “I’m afraid, we have any even bigger problem.”

“What’s that?” Ruby’s jaw clenched.

“I’m not entirely sure. Yet.” He said then walked around the porch and out to the street, stopping to sniff longer in certain places. When he returned, his shoulders shuddered, and his composed demeanor returned. “There is the tiniest whiff of unnaturalness lingering nearby. And there’s something else, something I can’t quite put my finger on.”

Until next time...

Feel like you're missing something? 
Check out the beginning(ish): New Twist on an Iconic Tale


8 comments:

  1. Loved this! Super interesting as one of the characters from Once Upon a Time is Little Red Riding Hood and her name is Ruby too! This is so nostalgic. I just read the full piece. Thanks for sharing x

    www.lynnmumbingmejia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I LOVED "Once Upon a Time"! My Ruby is a little different, but there's another fairy tale character in this story also, and few more coming in book 2. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. A twistedly true tale is spot on! Excerpt this may be but it tells is own story through the chilly atmosphere and lingering unnaturalness. I love Ruby's spot on reaction to the Mayor's voice in her head and the foreshadowing at what is to come.

    Jaya |ninchronicles.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Your reaction is exactly what I'm shooting for! Today, Ruby conspires over tea with Mrs. Wolf. ๐Ÿ˜ Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I was surprised to see the mayor making a house call, is there a long running connection between the two of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between the families, yes. The Hoods and the Wolfs have a unique and unprecedented relationship, and have for years. The working relationship between Ruby and the mayor, however, has only just begun. Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. This is a really nice read, always enjoys reading your excerpts!

    TheQuietGirl
    www.quietgirlblog.com

    ReplyDelete

A Writing Exercise: The Universe Has a Way

 ๐Ÿ“ทcredit:  esvisionaria The Exercise A. Make a list (the hardest part, so the list came from my brother). Noun: sunshine Proper Noun: Mt. F...