Sunday, February 28, 2021

Ruby Hood and Kassandra Wolf Conspire Over Tea

A retelling of a classic fairy tale that takes a completely different path over the river and through the Wood...


An EXCERPT from
Ruby Hood, A Twistedly True Tale

By Aspen Hite

“Ruby, will you join me in the parlor for some tea before you leave?” Kassandra said.

“Sure,” Ruby followed her into the other room. She wasn’t sure she had any other choice.

“How are you dealing with all this?” Kassandra gestured to an empty loveseat and opened a box of teas, allowing Ruby to select her tea flavor. “It must seem like it’s all spiraling out of control?”

“Yes, a bit,” She pointed to a jasmine lavender blend and leveled her voice. “I’m holding my own.”

“Good choice,” Kassandra closed the rectangular box, but continued to speak while busying herself with tea making. “You see, Ruby, I suddenly find myself in a precarious situation. I have stumbled upon some important information and yet, up until this very moment, I've had no one to share it with.”

Ruby did her best to hide her surprise. So many things popped into her mind, but she tamed them all and reached out for lemon and honey as Kassandra Wolf placed her cup in front of her, “I see. And Mr…the mayor…he wasn’t able to help?”

“You’re learning I see,” the woman said with a toothy grin, “It’s too bad, Miss Hood, you have plans to become some great architect, you’d made a helluva Guardian.”

“Archeologist,” Ruby corrected, taking a sip of her tea.

“Whatever,” Kassandra shrugged and continued, “My husband has been busy tracking our daughter and that deranged Huntsman. I understand, of course, but…”

“You believe your information is more important?” Ruby finished.

“Very observant,” Kassandra gave a rare nod of approval, even her face seemed less pinched for a second, only the briefest second, then she was back to business, “I did try to tell my husband this morning, but in his haste to get to Kingman for the day he showed little interest...besides, I need you anyway.”

“Well, if I can help in any way,” Ruby offered. What was this woman up to?

“I figured you would say that,” The woman took a sip of her tea, then sat back and looked at Ruby, “I’ve found the Aarush Mage, and she’s agreed to meet us. Well, she’s agreed to meet you...and me...maybe.” 

Until next time...

Feel like you're missing something? 
Check out the beginning(ish): New Twist on an Iconic Tale


14 comments:

  1. Excellent writing and suspenseful dialogue, leading up a cliffhanger. I want to know more about the Aarush Mage! Great job. Is Kingman a real place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee! So glad you stopped by, and yes, Kingman is real...filled with mystery and intrigue it the desert southwest Arizona!

      Delete
  2. This is so evocative and full of intrigue — I loved reading it! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't a loveseat a sex toy? Obviously it can't be the loveseat sex toy because they wouldn't be drinking tea around it, not would it fit the situation ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE your questions! And up until reading your comment (right now), I thought a loveseat was a small couch. Truly, I'm gonna stick with that...haha! 🤣

      Delete
  4. Oooo I really like the dialogue in this excerpt, really interesting, I wanna know want happens next ��. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrilled you enjoyed it! New one coming today. Thanks so much for stopping by! Be well.

      Delete
  5. Ruth| Ruthiee loves GlamourMarch 7, 2021 at 4:46 PM

    This was an amazing excerpt. It was really interesting and fun to read. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it! Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Another beautifully written piece. As soon as I saw jasmine lavender, I craved tea haha Thanks for sharing xx

    www.lynnmumbingmejia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrilled you enjoyed it, especially the tea reference. Thank you for stopping by and commenting.😊

      Delete
  7. Massive fan of tea in all its forms and the tea drinking ritual! Over tea gossip flowers and relationships bud. Loving the conversation that happened over these full cups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Write what you know...best advice ever. Thank you!😊

      Delete

A Writing Exercise: The Universe Has a Way

 ðŸ“·credit:  esvisionaria The Exercise A. Make a list (the hardest part, so the list came from my brother). Noun: sunshine Proper Noun: Mt. F...