Sunday, March 14, 2021

Ruby Hood, Lady Wolf and a Deranged Mage

A retelling of a classic fairy tale that takes a completely different path over the river and through the Wood...

EXCERPT from 
"Ruby Hood, A Twistedly True Tale"
By Aspen Hite

“I hiked Machu Picchu in between high school and the Academy. It’s been many years, but an Aarush Mage has a distinct vibe, and I feel it here,” Kassandra Wolf said, closing her magazine. “Showtime.”

Lady Wolf stood, bowed her head and curtsied.

Ruby did the same, and then sucked in her breath. 

A thin ghostly figure stepped out from the bookshelves. Standing at the end of the corridor was a ghastly mess. Pale face and dark eyes. Wild gray hair. Ella Kinder, a great Aarush Mage.

“Thank you, Mage,” Kassandra spoke with a softness Ruby had never heard, “thank you for agreeing to meet with us.”

“I didn’t agree to meet with you, beast,” Malice dripped from the Ella’s tongue, “And none of this is for you or her. It’s for mine. And only mine.”

“It’s an honor to meet an Aarush Mage, such as yourself,” Ruby curtsied with a bow again. Maybe a little sucking up would help.

“That’s better, girl,” Ella’s wild eyes studied Ruby, “I have a plan. It must be followed.”

“Tell us,” said Ruby. “Let us help.”

“The Unnaturals are here to kill me, my child and you if you get in the way. One false move, and we lose everything.” Ella’s tone pierced like barbed wire. “For now, I must stay hidden, appearing weak and of little threat. During this time, you will be betrayed, Ruby Hood. Not once but twice. This all must unfold. It’s the only way to keep my child safe.”

“If you tell us who the child is, we can bring her to our bunker with around the clock protection,” Kassandra offered.

“Hush beast, my business is not with you,” Ella hissed, then turned to Ruby, “They know everything. Everywhere. Sshhh!” Ella hissed, here eyes rolling back in her head as the floor trembled under their feet. “I must keep her safe. I MUST!”

“Okay, okay,” Ruby raised her arms in surrender, trying to remain calm. “Look, we want to help you, but we also want to stay alive and free my Grams. I’m no expert in this role, but potential sacrifice of my Wood to save you doesn’t seem like the best deal for my people.”

“It is the way it must be. The only way, Ruby Hood.”

“Okay, okay, Mage,” Kassandra stepped up and placed her hands on her hips, “Suppose we see it your way, just what will you be doing while we’re betrayed and afraid?”

“Getting stronger,” Ella said, “To destroy.”

Until next time...

Feel like you're missing something? 

Check out the beginning(ish): New Twist on an Iconic Tale


6 comments:

  1. I love this! I'm excited to read more of this plot - you have a great writing style x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Thrilled you are enjoying it! Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Ruby Hood needs to be betrayed twice? Will that be two true acts of betrayal or are they putting on an act?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, both are legit...kind of...interestingly enough...one is kind of a faux betrayal. 😉
      Best questions! Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I'm really enjoying these excerpts, can't wait to read more! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrilled you are enjoying it.😊 Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete

The Shack

It's been a while since I've posted any fiction. The Shack is a short flash from one of those 24 Hour Contests. There is a prompt fo...