Sunday, March 7, 2021

Poisoned (Part 2)

A retelling of a classic fairy tale that takes a completely different path over the river and through the Wood...

Poisoned (part 2)


EXCERPT from 
Ruby Hood, A Twistedly True Tale
By Aspen Hite

“Rue, is that you?” Kellan’s voice echoed in the dimly lit room.

“Hey Kel,” was all she could utter. He looked terrible. A pale greenish hue colored his cheeks. His slick hair stuck to his forehead. Deep grays bags hung underneath his bloodshot eyes.

“I’m so glad you stopped by,” He tried to smile, which ended in a coughing fit.

Ruby was at his side, sitting on the bed with his hand in hers. The heat radiating from him startled her. She reached for a cup of ice cubes on the nightstand next to his bed and handed it to him. “Wow, you’re really warm?”

“Yeah, more so than normal.” He took the cup, “Thanks, Lycans run hot normally, so when we get sick, it gets much worse. Except this isn’t sickness, it’s a poisoning spell. One our Shaman can’t figure out how to break."

“Tell me what happened.” She reached down and rested her lips on his forehead. A gentle vibration buzzed. 

“That felt nice, Rue,” he closed his eyes, and his mouth settled into a comfortable curve, “I was coming back from the park; that's when heat and pain scorched my nostrils. It was horrid and heavy and suffocating. I couldn’t breathe. My eyes and lungs burned, but my body broke out in a sweat and then I got the chills. My knees buckled while my head pounded like a jackhammer was drilling on my skull. I thought I was going to puke. Right there. Everywhere.

 “It was on campus. Somewhere,” Kellan’s shoulders shuddered, “But I couldn’t go any further, so I turned back to the park. That’s when Dylan showed up and brought me to the room. Then you were there.”

“Okay,” she said, but her mind screamed, ‘HE’S NOT OKAY,’ and the mayor and Dylan were about to depart!

“I’m glad you showed up, Ruby,” He choked. 

“Me too,” She gave a gentle squeeze in return and swallowed the lump in her throat. Just talking about it was too much for him.

“Ruby,” Kassandra said from the doorway, interrupting them, “Kellan needs to go for his treatment.”

“Rue,” Kellan coughed, not letting go of her hand, “Will you be here when I get back?”

“I don’t think so,” she squeezed again, “I need to follow up on a few things at school, but I’ll stop by after lunch.” Leaning over, she gave him a kiss on the forehead. A tiny blue light ignited as another soft vibration left her lips.

“That tickles and feels so nice. Will you do it more later?” Kellan closed his eyes as her kiss wash over him.

“Of course,” she said, refusing to let any tears fall. Fear gripped her. There had to be way to save him.

Until next time...

Feel like you're missing something? 

Check out the beginning(ish): New Twist on an Iconic Tale

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Love the vivid description you've included in this passage. You can really feel the character's experience through this. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy! So glad you enjoyed. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Love this! Such great imagery. Hope Kellan gets better! Thanks for sharing Aspen xx


    www.lynnmumbingmejia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it. Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Love this story so far! I love how the picture is painting out so well with how you've told the tale x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so interesting, I went back and read the first part too! I love fairytales with a twist. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! So glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Bring poisoned seems like a really unpleasant way to die, especially if it's dragged out. Will this be the end of his story or will you end up saving him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will survive this poisoning...this time. 😉
      Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete

The Shack

It's been a while since I've posted any fiction. The Shack is a short flash from one of those 24 Hour Contests. There is a prompt fo...