Sunday, April 18, 2021

A Bit of Sweetness Before Battle

A retelling of a classic fairy tale that takes a completely different path over the river and through the Wood...



An EXCERPT from
Ruby Hood, A Twistedly True Tale

By Aspen Hite

“What about your mom, Lily and her dad? Are you sure they aren’t going to ask questions while you’re gone?”

“They shouldn’t. They’re immersed in an Aarush Mage time-loop dream state in the kitchen. They’re having a great time sipping hot chocolate and playing board games. They have no idea what is happening outside of that room,” Ruby didn’t like it, but there wasn’t much of any of this she liked, “It’s supposed to keep them safe and out of harm’s way.”

“Well then, you need something to keep you safe and out of harm’s way.” A smile skirted Kellan’s lips and there was a lightness to his voice Ruby hadn’t heard in a while.

“Oh yeah?” Her dark eyes danced. He was so cute when he was being sweet.

“Yeah,” He pulled a tiny bag velvet bag out of his pocket and rested it in her palm. “It’s for you.”

Ruby bit her lower lip to hide her smile and untied the bag. Her eyes widened as she took in the beauty before her. He had taken the labradorite crystal she’d given to him and turned it into a pendant. Her eyes welled with emotion as it dangled before her, “Oh Kel, this is perfect I love it.”

“I’m glad,” He leaned his cane against a chair and steadied himself as he helped Ruby with the necklace, “It kept me safe when I was poisoned, and you gave it to me. I hope me giving it to you now will keep you safe.”

“Thank you.” A tear escaped and streamed down her cheek. Ruby wasn’t sure if it was a sweet tear from the gift or a tear of terror about what she knew came next. She threw her arms around his neck and kissed him. Hard and quick. Then she nuzzled her head into his neck as more and more tears escaped.

“Rue?”

“I’m scared, Kellan,” She rested against him, wishing this feeling of safety would last forever.

“It’ll be okay.” Kellan pulled her tighter.

“I hope so.” 


Feel like you're missing something? 

Check out the begining(ish): New Twist on an Iconic Tale

5 comments:

  1. This scene is so vivid I feel like I am there with Ruby and Kellan! I also love the suspense and sweet relationship between the two. Awesome writing! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Ruby's tear! How suspenseful! Beautifully written as always x

    Lynn | https://www.lynnmumbingmejia.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where can I find Aarush Mage time-loop dream state magic so I can have a few really good self care days? Ha ha ha. Jokes a side, how long could someone be kept in one of these time-loops?

    ReplyDelete

The Shack

It's been a while since I've posted any fiction. The Shack is a short flash from one of those 24 Hour Contests. There is a prompt fo...