Thursday, November 11, 2021

Evoking Emotion in the Reader

As a writer, I always want to make the reader feel what's happening in the story. And that's no easy feat, but I've been working on it. 😉

An excerpt from... Ruby Hood, A Twistedly True Tale... the retelling of a classic fairy tale that takes a completely different path over the river and through the Wood.


Immersed in a moment of flux, Ruby hung in mid-nowhere before she landed with a thud. Blackness absorbed every inch of her space, and a deafening silence stifled her. Her senses roared into overdrive, and a panic rose in her chest. The empty nothingness of the room over-filled her lungs. Her pulse throbbed as she gasped for air. How could she have been this wrong? She was to die. Right here. Right now. 

I'd love to hear from you, dear reader. Tell me...do you fell panicked? 

Thank you for stopping by... until next time...


Feel like you're missing something? 
👇 Go back to the beginning... 👇 

4 comments:

  1. I love that you have focused intensely on the feeling in this short excerpt! It captures poignantly the emotion of losing control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is nothing if not a work in progress. 💜

      Delete
  2. This is a great extract from your awesome Ruby Hood series. I can definitely relate to the senses going into over drive and the panic arising in the chest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I been using my own emotions and trying to translate them into words.

      Delete

The Shack

It's been a while since I've posted any fiction. The Shack is a short flash from one of those 24 Hour Contests. There is a prompt fo...