Saturday, January 22, 2022

Snippet Saturday: A Girl and Death

As a writer, I want to make the reader feel...

Check out this excerpt from... Ruby Hood, A Twistedly True Tale... the retelling of a classic fairy tale that takes a completely different path over the river and through the Wood...


Everything around her trembled, and then froze. People and trees stood still. The gray eyed raven stiffened in mid-air. There wasn’t even the slightest gust of breeze, leaving Ruby alone with a dying Kellan in her arms. Time had stopped. How had this happened? She shuddered slightly, and her chest heaved. A roulette of emotions spun inside her, and at the root of all of them, was one truth. She loved him.

I'd love to hear from you, dear reader. Tell me...did this invoke emotion? 


Feel like you're missing something? 
👇 Go back to the beginning... 👇 




6 comments:

  1. I love how each sentence adds to the building atmosphere of this piece and concludes in a rush of sure emotion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really descriptive extract which does a great job of setting up the scene. It feels like forever since I last read about Ruby. I hope to read more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The first Ruby Hood novel is at the beta reading stage, so I have been working on short stories. I hope to have some more RH soon. 💜

      Delete
  3. It’s quite amazing how just a few words can illicit such emotion. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

The Shack

It's been a while since I've posted any fiction. The Shack is a short flash from one of those 24 Hour Contests. There is a prompt fo...