Sunday, February 13, 2022

Time

With Ruby Hood currently in the beta reading stage (fingers crossed it goes well 🤞), I've been working on short stories. For this one, I was given the prompt (in bold), a word count of 865 and 24 hours (see the result below). Happy Reading! ~Aspen Hite


TIME 

Twinkle lights kicked against the windows, threatening to break in the freezing wind. She was warm inside, too warm, unlike the people rushing by the small coffee shop. Her blunt fingernail repeatedly tapped the steaming cup, her second one, while her other hand clutched the badge hidden beneath her coat and caressed it gently. This was the end of the line. For her anyway.

Rina looked around the quaint coffee shop. She’d been coming here since the beginning, some 45 years. Several lifetimes of husbands, and children, and loss, and death. She’d buried three husbands and a child. 

The bell over the door chimed and Rina looked up, as a tall woman with long side swept hair sauntered in. Her pencil skirt hugged every inch of her, and her stiletto’s added three inches. Rina beamed. The voluptuous woman gave her a half smile and plopped into the other side of the booth. “Been a long time, doll.”

“Morty, it’s literally been three weeks,” said Rina. 

“I know, but a lot has happened since then. Feels like an eternity,” Morty said, as her coffee cup filled itself. That was the way it was here. 

Sadness snuffed out Rina’s smile as she tucked a few stray hairs behind her ear. 

Morty narrowed her eyes, giving Rina the once over, then steepled her hands,  “How are you holding up?”

Rina pushed her cheeks wide in a terrible ‘I-am-fine-please-don’t-ask’ face and reached for her coffee. Anything to get out of answering the question. She wasn't holding up well, and she didn’t want to talk about it. She didn’t even want to think about it. This was the way it was, “I’m finding gratitude everyday.”

“Horseshit,” Morty said, adding 3 packets of sugar to her coffee cup. She stirred vigorously and took a scalding sip. 

“What can I say, Mort? I took an assignment and stayed too long. When I got back, it was too late. I don’t have a lot of choices at this point,” Rina said, taking another sip. “I’ve seen the grandkids a lot, and Simon and Taylor have been wonderful. I am blessed to call them children. 

“Rina…you’re the best I know. There has to be something…” Morty said. 

“There isn’t. I’ve tried. Everything I can think of,” A somber tear trickled down her cheek as she glanced at the clock. It didn’t matter what time it was, which was ironic considering her profession. But it was true, there was no time to change anything, not her path, or her circumstances, or her mind. Time was up. She’d looked at this from every angle, and called in favors, but nothing changed. In the end, her options were terrible and limited. After careful consideration, she wanted it this way. 

“Very well, it’s your wish, and I shall abide by it,” Morty said, “but I don’t have to like it.”

“No, you don’t,” Rina dropped her gaze. It was time.

Clutching Morty’s hand across the table, Rina laughed “You know, I’m just so happy our paths crossed, Mort. I honestly don’t know what I would’ve done without you after your father passed. I might not have continued traveling.”

“Awww, Rin… you gave me a chance when no one else would,” Morty laughed as tears fell, “You should’ve asked for someone with more experience, but you took a gamble on me.” 

“You know, so little of this life we live is in our control, and I have been blessed to have you looking after me, Mort,” Rina held onto her friend.

“It’s been such an honor to be by your side all these years,” Morty wiped her tears.

“The honor has been mine, you’re an amazing handler,” said Rina, then held up the badge. Suddenly, it was heavy and sharp, “But it’s time.” 

Morty eyed it, “And you're sure this is what you want?”

“Yes,” Rina said, “Please go with me back to the time before. That’s where I’d like to take my Walk Down Memory Lane.”

“You know you can’t interact,” Morty held out her hand but did not touch the badge.

“I do,” A wistful look crossed Rina’s face. “I was happiest then. Carefree. And the view, well it’s always been a favorite.”

The moment Morty touched the badge, the two were transported in time back to 1976. It was a quiet evening. On the beach. Rina watched a family in the distance as they laughed and played in the ocean, the sun setting behind them. That family was hers…her younger self, with her first husband and their beautiful daughter, before it all; decades ago, when her loves were still alive. 

Rina wept with joy and sat on a bench. 

“You’re the oldest Time Traveler I know, Rina. What does it all mean?” Morty said as the sun began to dip behind the clouds reflecting a rainbow of colors off the ocean.

“I have absolutely no idea, but for me, it was always about peace. Thank you for bringing me here,” Rina closed her eyes. The squeals of joy and the clean ocean air brought a smile to her face, and she took her last breath. Peace. 

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting Ruby to the beta reading stage! Nice short story too. I can't really remember reading anything of yours that wasn't about Ruby before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ruby still needs a lot of work. 🙄 BUT I think the short stories are helping to hon my craft. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Loved reading this not-too-short short story that has some lovely emotions present and beautiful description throughout! I love the line "“Horseshit,” Morty said, adding 3 packets of sugar to her coffee cup. She stirred vigorously and took a scalding sip . . ." it creates a vivid scene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have been working on creating vivid scenes, so it's nice to know it's translating. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

The Shack

It's been a while since I've posted any fiction. The Shack is a short flash from one of those 24 Hour Contests. There is a prompt fo...