Thursday, September 22, 2022

Family Business Part 9: The Man

  The latest in the life of Em De Mone... 

The Man

Guns came out from all over. Everyone of Nikki’s goons was cocked and ready. The biggest one pulled open my front door and backed out of the way. 

There in the doorway stood a man. 

He was tall, and he held his hands up in surrender. His shoulders were relaxed, and one corner of his mouth curved in amusement. He ignored all the weaponry pointed at him and waltzed through the door with his gaze fixed on me.

“Well, well, if it isn’t the legendary and treacherous Sebastian ‘the Bastard’ De Mone,” my captor said with an exaggerated bow, “thrilled you could make it, Bass.”

“Nikki Chambers? Is that you?” the man asked, making casual conversation while two goons searched him and pulled a gun from each side of his torso, “Grown up a bit, huh?

One goon reached for the machete strapped to the man’s leg, but the man made a noise, like a cluck out of the side of his mouth, and shook his head no. The goon backed away. 

The man dropped his arms and sauntered into the room. 

That man was my dad, and saunter is the only way I can explain it. He was calm and collected, like he was strolling through the park on a beautiful Sunday morning. It didn’t seem to phase him one bit that at least six men had guns pointed at him, his kid was tied to a chair, and this was a volatile situation. By the way, we (me and my dad) have never actually met.

“How’s the family?” My dad asked, giving me a curt nod before he plopped onto the couch and put his feet on the coffee table. The machete was still strapped to his leg. 

“It’s not my family you should be worried about, Bass.” Nicky spat back, waving a gun of his own.

Family was a trigger for this lunatic. I saw it clear as day. So did my dad.

“Family can be a pain-in-the-ass for sure, and my pain-in-the-ass tracked me down and told me I needed to deal with you,” said Bass, “So here I am.” 

“Ah yes, and you came running,” Nikki grinned, clearly thrilled with himself. 

“I did,” My dad folded his hands on his lap, and a thin line formed on his lips, but his eyes danced.

“Why Bass, you seem amused,” Nikki taunted. 

“Do I? Because I’m not,” My dad leaned in, planting his feet on the floor and this elbows on his knees. But I am curious. Why on earth didn’t you let sleeping dogs lie? You could’ve flown under the radar with a small demon hive for the rest of your life, but you had to get greedy and mess with my family. The pain-in-the-ass that they are, they are mine to deal with, not yours. Plus, you hit my mom with a tire iron, kidnapped my kid, harmed two witches, and beat up a basketball star,” Bass gave a sardonic laugh before he continued, “And you think I’m amused. Truth be told, you’re lucky I don’t jump up and snap your neck right now.”

“Still such a fool, Bass De Mone,” Nikki nodded, and the guns pointed at my dad turned toward me. 

I gulped. 

“It seems you need a reminder,” said Nikki. 

“If you say so,” My father’s jaw clenched ever so slightly, but his voice remained even, “Look, now that I’m here like you wanted, why don’t you point all your guns back at me and let these women go? There’s no need to hold them hostage anymore.”

Nikki shook his head as beads of sweat coated his forehead. He gripped his gun, pointed it at Bass, and screamed, “Leverage…I have it!”

“You may, for the moment,” My dad’s voice was razor sharp, “But let me be clear, you kill either of these women, and I will kill you before you or any of your men can get to me. Then, my family will hunt and kill everyone in this room and everyone they love, including your family…you’re mom’s still alive, isn’t she? Of course, we wouldn’t crack her upside the head with a tire iron. Granny would probably give her a nice shot of poison.” 

“That’s not going to happen!” Nikki shouted, losing his composure, “I’m in charge.”

“Indeed,” My dad stifled a yawn, “So do something with it.”

I watched as Nikki's eyes bulged and the veins in his neck pulsed wildly. I wondered if my dad knew he was inciting this guy, who was already simmering dangerously close to a meltdown. Nikki waved his gun at me and opened his mouth to speak, but no words came. I thought he might be having a stroke.

In the slightest whisper, I heard it, “His magical shield is down, Em.”

Enraged and out of control, Nikki pulled the trigger. 

I closed my eyes and sent all my telekinetic force toward the bullet, stopping it mid-air—inches from my face.  

“Good girl,” Bass whispered.

I exhaled and held the bullet still with my mind, ensuring I had total control. Opening my eyes, I met Nikki’s raised eyebrows and turned the bullet to face him, “Disarm your men, or I will send this into your brain, you dick.”

One by one, each goon set his gun on the table next to my dad’s feet and took several steps back. 

“How?” Nikki turned to me with wild eyes as he spiraled into turmoil. His gun was pressed to his temple, “What are you?”

I opened my mouth to give him some smart-ass retort, but I caught the subtle shake of my dad’s head.

Then there is a knock on the door. 

“You’re gonna want to get that, Man-in-Charge,” My dad said with a smile. 

To Be Continued



Photo credit: Thank you, ArtTower 📷


Loving Family Business? I'd love to hear your thoughts unless you'd like to keep reading.
👇Check out more of Em De Mone below. 👇

Thanks so much for stopping by!
Regards, Aspen ✌️

Read ahead.
Part 10: Death or Life-ish

Part 6: So It Begins
Part 7: Unprepared
Part 8: Kidnapped


Did you miss the Secret Life of Em  De Mone? Catch up here:

Part 1: The Intro 


8 comments:

  1. I wish I could keep my co in such a situation. Although, I'd rather never find out by finding myself in such a situation. How come Nikki and his goons are relaying on guns to kill them? Don't they have powers as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki and his goons are human, so they rely on the brutality of the firearms. Nikki taps into and steals magic that isn't his. That's why he had the magical shield up to prevent Em from using hers (although her family broke his spell). 😉 Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting! ✌️

      Delete
  2. While this is not my usual read, I do find these chapters full of action, adventure and intrigue. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a huge compliment! Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting! ✌️

      Delete
  3. You are such a talented writer, loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support and comment!

      Delete
  4. Loving the carefully built tension in this piece, and the culmination of the scene through control and power at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete

The Shack

It's been a while since I've posted any fiction. The Shack is a short flash from one of those 24 Hour Contests. There is a prompt fo...