Tuesday, December 27, 2022

The Betrayal

 Part IV of Short Story: A Deception


📷credit: Thank you, Darkmoon_Art

The Betrayal

“What’s up?” Janus balled his fists and paced the room. It would be foolish to lose his face in the presence of Hades and that dog. He took a breath and grappled with composure, “You’ve been hanging out in my warm, peaceful bar while I’ve been stuck here in this abandoned nightmare doing your job?”

“Hmm, I’m gonna take a stab in the dark and say you’re upset. But I feel like we’re not on the same page because when you say my job, I think, no, it’s your job,” Hades shifted his gaze to Naribelle and cracked a grin, “well, her job, so by proxy also yours.”

“What in all the hells does that mean?” Janus tensed.

“She…your Siren… took the job to guard the entrance.”

“What? When?” Janus nearly screamed, teetering on insanity, “You’ve been dodging my call for weeks!”

“Dude, calm down. I was here,” he tossed an amused grin at the Siren and sucked back another swig of margarita. “She said you two loved it here and wanted to extend your stay.”

 “For how long?” Janus clenched his teeth.

“Indefinitely,” Hades said and took another swig.

“You did what?” Janus exploded. Veins popped all over his head, and little bits of flames grew from his fingertips.

“I…I…I… Janny…It’s wonderful here! It’s so quiet and peaceful, and the eatings are so plentiful,” Nari pled her case.

“And she’s not wrong. A LOT of souls are coming through here and more on the way. I’ll be the first to admit there are some messes to clean up. Fucking humans.” Hades interjected to no one in particular, but it was enough to calm Janus.

“Naribelle, darling,” Janus sighed, finding his level-headed face again, “you know I would do anything for you, but you can’t go making deals with the devil…” he tossed a glance at Hades, “No offense.”

“None taken,” said Hades.

“…without talking to me,” Janus reached up and tucked his unruly hair back in place, “Nari, why didn’t you come to me?”

“Janny, I know how much you hate it here. I kept telling myself, ‘a little bit longer, Nari,’ but then it got out of control. When Hades showed up to relieve us, I just…I wasn’t ready.” Naribelle made her way to Janus. Cupping his cheek in her hand, she whispered, “I’m so sorry, love. You’re right, and I should’ve talk to you. I won’t make that mistake again. Will you forgive me?”

“Naribelle, we’re stuck guarding the Entrance to the Underworld in the frigid cold. It’s the exact opposite way I had hoped to spend Eternity,” a fire flared in his eyes, but he tamed it, “At least I’ll have you, my darling.”

“Oh, Janny,” she flung herself into his embrace.


To Be Continued


Thank you so much for stopping by! 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the fourth segment of A Deception in the comments.

 Missing Part I? Janus

 Part II? The Siren

 Part III? Hades

Part V (and The End)...coming soon. Stay tuned!

~Aspen ✌️




6 comments:

  1. I can’t wait to see how this will end! Happy New Year Aspen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. The key to a good and healthy relationship is communication. It seems at least one person in this relationship doesn't care about the others needs, if they'd make such an extreme decision without even having a single conversation about it. That's a red flag. Time to find someone who also considers other people's thoughts and feelings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The gods and ancient ones are just as flawed as humans, I'm afraid. They may never learn. 😉 Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Janus' initial fury was so relatable as I immediately felt his outrage. I so loved how his emotion escalated into disbelief and Hades' nonchalant attitude throughout the whole scene too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your (awesome) thoughts! ✌️

      Delete

The Shack

It's been a while since I've posted any fiction. The Shack is a short flash from one of those 24 Hour Contests. There is a prompt fo...