Sunday, March 5, 2023

A Writing Musing: Respect the Process

 A glimpse behind my creative curtain...


Respect the Process


The fiction writing has been going well, but it really is a process.


Brainstorming: The creation part, which is ALWAYS fun, is the beginning. This stage is messy and chaotic as I’m jotting loads of ideas and notes anywhere and everywhere (post-its, notebooks, napkins, receipts). I have multiple documents open on my computer (all very random). And I am actively talking to myself, playing out the actions and motives of the characters. 


Drafting: I make it all up as I tell myself the story. I have to understand what’s happening. What’s the first problem? What’s the goal of the character(s)? How will I complicate it for them? And what can I do to surprise the reader? This part is my favorite part. Of course, I usually come up with my best-complicated surprises in the shower or while I’m driving, and when I get to some sort of way to record my thoughts, they have all flittered away. Sometimes I chase them. Sometimes I wait for them to return…the good ones always do. 


This stage can be quick or long and drawn out (like now). It usually also involves various forms of rewriting and junk piling. At this point, I know the overview of the story, but scenes are still coming in scattered pieces, like a puzzle. I’m turning the pieces over, finding the edges, and putting similar ideas (pieces) together.  I can picture the final result, but seeing it complete before me is a long way away. 


Revising/Rewriting: The puzzle comes together. Once I finish the first draft, I’ll reread (over and over) to fine-tune it and polish it into a creatively stimulating story using nothing more than words (the ultimate goal). This part can be enjoyable (like when I come up with something good) or torture (like when I hit a wall or write myself into a corner). 


Editing: This is my least favorite part (perfecting the puzzle, pressing the pieces together, adding a gloss or glue), but it’s essential.  It always entails reading aloud, Grammarly, laughter, and tears. Sometimes, I seek out an extra set of eyes. However, if my work is bound for publication, I will hire a professional editor to critique and correct my writing. Nothing more embarrassing than a typo on the title page.   


Publishing: The final stage: sharing the best version with the public.


Where am I now? In the drafting stage, with two feisty and hard-to-control heroines: Em De Mone and Elle Kingsmith. These ladies and their crew of characters have been chattering and rattling around in my head most recently. These ladies are particularly interesting because their stories span many millennia and interconnect on multiple levels. But they are also very much the stars of their own stories. The experiences of their 20s (current WIPs) are not only happening in my head now, but their actions will vastly impact destiny. So technically, I’m creating the surprises and twists of future stories. 


To sharpen my storytelling skills, I’ve also been dabbling in nonfiction, writing short stories about teaching, or dogs, or life, or writing. 


I’m enjoying learning to respect the process as I create my writing journey. 


What’s next? A mixture of fiction and nonfiction musings. And hopefully, some exciting book news soon. 



THANK YOU so much for stopping by. Your support is greatly appreciated!

I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comment section.

~Aspen ✌️

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like your brainstorming stage has a lot in common with how my blog post ideas come together. I have a note app on my phone that is filled with countless notes and add-on notes for existing notes. I then have a lot of tabs open on my laptop to accommodate putting my posts together. Good luck with your drafting your two newer stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need all our tools and processes. Thank you, they are a couple of persnickety ladies, but it's all coming together. I appreciate you stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I always appreciate learning each author’s process, and I’ve learned there is a wide variety of practices. Thanks for sharing your own process Aspen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! ✌️

      Delete
  3. Love this little peek into your creative process! I love writing my first drafts when the words are just flowing and I feel like this is why I chose to write. It is the aftermath that can be a little draining but just about as rewarding!

    ReplyDelete

The Shack

It's been a while since I've posted any fiction. The Shack is a short flash from one of those 24 Hour Contests. There is a prompt fo...