Sunday, March 12, 2023

A Writer Musing: Writer Workshop Day




A Writer Musing: Writer Workshop Day


I love to learn. I love to write. When I have the opportunity to learn more about writing, I’m giddy. 


Recently, I attended a Writers' Workshop in St. Louis, MO. Despite a sleepless night before, a dreary day, cold temps (in and out of the building), and a clogged ear making it hard(er) to hear, it was a fantastically awesome day.


The Four Classes 

Class #1: Common Pitfalls in Publishing

Hybrid author, Katie Otey, shared her writer-life experiences and advice. Invaluable information, plus she's a super cool lady. 


Class #2: Everything You Need to Know About Agents and Query Letters 

Kourtney Price laid all the nitty gritty for those pesky query letters and finding the right agent. 


Class #3: 10 Surefire Ways to Strengthen your Writing 

Kerrie Flanagan, author and facilitator of the event, not only gave us a list but also read real-world examples AND offered the audience opportunities to create smooth, fluid writing. 


Class #4: Pros and Cons of Traditional and Indie Publishing

Laura Benedict held nothing back as she delivered all the bottom-line details of traditional publication and self-publication. An eye-opening experience. 


Other Noteworthy Events

Agent Pitch: I pitched to esteemed literary agent Bonnie Swanson. It was a quick and dirty 10-minute segment. It was the highlight of the day!


Writer’s Got Talent: A First Page Critque-Fest

Every writer in attendance had the opportunity to anonymously enter the first page of their manuscript. Several were randomly selected to be read aloud not only to the group but also to a panel of industry professionals (authors, agents, and editors). 


As the narrator read the pages to the room, the panelist would hold up a hand whenever they would stop reading. At the end of each page, the panelists provided feedback. 


The first page was a paranormal genre and MINE! Holy hells. My heart ricocheted around in my chest, and at one point, I could barely hear the feedback (my clogged ear didn't help). Feverishly, I scribbled notes to reflect on when I got home. An absolutely priceless experience. 


My Takeaway:

The opportunity to learn from experts in the writing world changed my perspective and provided new insight. This workshop was the push I needed to propel my writing forward. 

THANK YOU so much for stopping by. Your support is greatly appreciated!

I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comment section.

~Aspen ✌️

6 comments:

  1. I have a friend who is writing a book right now who talked to me today about all the workshops and community of authors she’s recently found. I love that there is these opportunities for those of you who write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Workshops and community are so important! Best of luck to your friend. Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like quite a comprehensive workshop day. I'd be interested in knowing what the 19 sure-fire ways to strengthen your writing were, to see if I could improve in my own writing. As a dyslexic, you can never get enough support with writing and I'd like to keep improving on my own as much as possible. I'm glad you enjoyed the workshop day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Learning and growing as a writer are just as important as a good support system. I appreciate you stopping by to share your thoughts!

      Delete
  3. This workshop sounds incredible! The classes sound invaluable and I love that you not only got to pitch to an agent but also get priceless feedback on your first page!

    ReplyDelete

The Shack

It's been a while since I've posted any fiction. The Shack is a short flash from one of those 24 Hour Contests. There is a prompt fo...